I didn’t set the subdomain, which I had to do because I do not have the wildcard set for the domain in WP Engine.
I kept getting a DNS error in my web browser. I even waited about 30 minutes to make sure the settings had fully populated. Then I smacked myself in the head Three Stooges style and started to fix it.
Since I did NOT my domain as a Wild Card domain in WP Engine:
- Log into to the domain manager and create the suddomain(s) needed
- Point the subdomains to the WP Engine’s CNAME for the install:
- Click my heels three times and sung to myself, “there’s no place like home. There’s no place like home…”
To this point, it caught all the settings. In fact, when I was trying to explain to the first chat support rep, he sent me to the article on how to set up Multisite in WordPress. This article showed me how to confirm all the settings were correct in WordPress. I took the time to go over the settings to confirm they were correct.
Once the settings were correct, it dawned on me: no wildcard, no auto creating subdomain.
…recall I have my own platform that automatically creates subdomains for sites. I wasn’t even thinking about this issue potentially being an issue.
If there’s a glitch, the 24/7 tech support is quite good.